Aliya is our oldest daughter, born September 22, 2008, which puts her at just over two-and-a-half years old. She is an absolute delight and an absolute handful! She keeps me very busy during the day, and I am constantly amazed at her energy and intellect. She has a terrific sense of humor, and I love how she tosses her head back and laughs out loud at the most mundane things.She has the most incredible sensitivity to the feelings of those around her, and she has a love for all living things (though I think our two dogs sometimes wish she loved them a little less!). I remember the first time I took her fishing at Star Lake in my hometown of Hoover, AL. I caught a small, spotted perch with a $5 bamboo pole and bread-ball bait, and her big blue eyes danced with delight as it wriggled on the dock. As she gingerly approached it, though, her delight turned to concern when she saw it flopping and gasping for air. After a few tries, she picked it up, put in my hand, and nudged me back toward the water. I took the hook out of its mouth and placed it back into the water. She ran to the railing, "Bye-bye, fish! Bye-bye, Nemo!" As much as I love a great day on the water, I can't help but hope she retains that respect for all creation throughout her life.
Aliya also has an amazing power of observation and reason. Some of my favorite moments are her first reactions to Regi upon coming home from the hospital. I was feeding Regi on the couch one evening and Aliya asked me what I was doing. "Feeding baby sister," I responded. She thought about it for a minute and responded, "I think she needs a sandwich!" Later that week I was pumping an extra bottle, and she again asked what I was doing. I told her I was making milk for Regi. Her eyes lit up and she asked, excitedly, "Is it chocolate milk?" On another feeding occasion, she looked down at her own chest and determined, "I need to get my milk for Regi, too."Of course, this deductive power can work to her advantage (and to my detriment) when I'm trying to discipline her. When she knows she's in trouble, usually from the tone (and volume) of my voice, she says things like, "Mommy, you're my best friend!" Or, "Mommy, I love you so much!" It's very difficult to be angry when your mischievous toddler has, once again, emptied your nightstand drawer, strewing the contents down the hall, then begins to sing "I have a family here on earth, they are so good to me. . ." or "I am a child of God. . .has given me an earthly home, with parents kind and dear!" Mom, does this remind you of someone. . .:)?
No comments:
Post a Comment